The Iraqi-Saudi Political, Security and Military Committee Holds its Meeting
The Political, Security and Military Committee of the Saudi-Iraqi Coordination Council held its meeting, headed by Foreign Minister Mr. Fuad Hussein on the Iraqi side and the Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia Prince Faisal bin Farhan Al Saud on the Saudi side by video conference and in the presence of the members of the committee.
The two sides discussed issues on the committee’s agenda in a way that enhances the development of joint cooperation between the two countries in various fields.
The two sides agreed on the following:
-Continuing cooperation and coordination in political, security and military issues.
- Work to develop a common vision for the most important issues of concern to the two countries in various fields. -Providing support for the opening of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia’s Commercial Attaché in Baghdad. -Expediting the opening of the Arar border crossing, because of its importance in promoting trade cooperation between the two countries. -Facilitating procedures for granting entry visas to businessmen in both countries. -Studying the possibility of signing a memorandum of understanding to exempt holders of diplomatic, service and special passports from entry visas for both countries, except for the Hajj season.
-Consultation and coordination regarding mutual support in international forums.
- Strengthening security and intelligence cooperation with regard to combating crime and smuggling.
- Speeding the signing of a memorandum of understanding for security between the ministries of interior in both countries.
- Cooperation in the military fields by holding joint exercises within the framework of a memorandum of understanding concluded between the two countries in the military field, opening military attachés in both countries and exchanging training courses and experiences in the field of studies and strategic planning. -Continued support for Iraq’s efforts, in cooperation with the Global Coalition to Combat Daesh terrorist organization.
- Work to develop a common vision towards the issues of the region (the Palestinian issue, Syria, Turkey, Libya, Yemen).
- Securing the protection of the trade route linking the two countries. At the end of the meeting the two sides agreed to continue cooperation and coordination in various fields, exchange visits, and continue holding the committee emanating from the council in a way that enhances bilateral cooperation and achieves the aspirations of the leaderships and peoples of the two countries.