Head of the Department: Ambassador Saad Jawad Kandil.
Deputy Head of Department:
Hamid ibrahim Abdel Karim
Sarhad Sardar Abdul Rahman
Follows up relations with the United Nations and its specialized agencies, other regional and international organizations (except the Arab league) and regional and international conferences concerned with political, economic, social, cultural, environmental, energy and disarmament issues.
3. Economic Affairs
5. Islamic Conference & NON-Aligned Movement
6. United Nation & security Council
- Section of Islamic Cooperation Organization & Non- Aligned Movement :
This section is specialized in covering and following up the activities of Islamic Cooperation Organization & Non- Aligned Movement. The mechanism of work is based on the central instructions issued by the Ministry and to all mailings received from Iraqi diplomatic mission abroad, especially our missions in Jeddah, Geneva and New York.
Tasks & Responsibilities :
The section undertake the fallowing tasks and responsibilities:
* Dealing with mailings and correspondences issued by Islamic Cooperation Organization & Non- Aligned Movement coordination offices, and also following up the cases related with other Iraqi involved Ministries.
* Coordinating with our missions in Jeddah, Geneva and New York concerning the activities of Islamic Cooperation Organization &Non- Aligned Movement, and attending the relevant meetings.
* Preparing reports about the activities of Islamic Cooperation Organization & Non- Aligned Movement.
* Following up all the preparations for Iraq's high level participations in summits, conferences and meetings organized by those two organs.
* Following up all decisions, statements and press releases issued by those two organs in general, and that concerning Iraq in particular.
* Preparing the Minister's speeches and letters concerning related meetings and issues.
- Disarmament Section:
The Disarmament Section is in charge of disarmament issues relevant to the implementation of International Treaties and Conventions of disarmament and non- proliferation of Weapons of Mass Destruction (Nuclear, Chemical and Biological weapons) as well as other conventional arms such as Landmines, Small arms, Cluster Munitions.. etc.
In addition, the Disarmament Section is following up the obligations and commitments of the Government of Iraq within the related treaties and conventions such as NPT, CWC,CTBT,BTWC..etc.
Moreover, the Disarmament Section staff is participating in the International conferences and meetings as well as training courses relevant to the above Treaties.
As a part of Iraqi Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the Disarmament Section is coordinating and working closely with other Ministry missions such as Iraqi permanent Representatives to UN in New York, UN European office in Geneva, International Atomic Energy Agency in Vienna, and Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons in the Hague, in order to carry out its duties in this regard.
In this sense, the Disarmament Section is cooperating with other Iraqi Governmental Authorities in this field such as Ministry of Science and Technology-National Monitoring Authority, Ministry of Defense as well as Ministry of Environment and Ministry of Interior, Ministry of Health.
- Description of environment Section:
1. Following up multilateral environmental conventions and sustainable development issues.
2. Preparing internal memos about multilateral, regional and bilateral environmental conventions.
3. Presenting the Iraqi officials points of view to the secretariats of international organizations and international environmental conventions.
4. Provide Iraqi authorities concerned with environmental issues, with international environmental reports.
5. Facilitating participation of Iraqi technical delegations in International training courses and international conferences, related to environmental issues.
6. Representing the Ministry in the national committee of the climatic changes.
7. Representing the ministry in the international environmental conferences and meetings.
8. Representing the ministry in the plan of development and implementation of a mechanism to monitor and reduce emissions of carbon dioxide resulting from road transport and reduce the effects of climate change.
9. Representing the ministry in the national committee of the RAMSAR convention.
10. Representing the ministry in the technical committee and working group in other ministries.
- The United Nations Section :
- It follows-up the correspondences and takes the necessary action by cooperating with our representatives in New York, Geneva which related to the activity of the General Assembly of the UN and its other major agencies.
- Coordinating with the Iraqi official authorities who are relevant to the outgoing or incoming correspondences and preparing the appropriate proposals and recommendations.
- It follows-up the correspondences from the foreign missions in Iraq which are relevant to support the candidates of the countries for public office in the United Nations or one of its specialized agencies.
- Coordinating with the relevant ministry's departments about nomination tasks by soliciting opinion and recommendation Iraq's attitude then to inform the concerned Iraqi mission.
- The Section prepares for the United Nations General Assembly high-level meetings, where Iraq is represented by the president and foreign minister, through the preparation of the credentials and the official data & bilateral meetings and coordinating with the Permanent Mission of Iraq to the United Nations in New York papers.
- The department also follows the UN Mission file to assist Iraq (UNAMI), and it is a link between them and the higher authorities and the Iraqi ministries in the topics that will help mission in completing its tasks in Iraq. The department also follows the mission's activities and achievements by holding monthly meeting to exchange views on common interest topics.
- The department deals with the United Nations and its main bodies such as the General Assembly and the Security Council, the Economic and Social Council and the Committee on the Peaceful Uses of Outer Space, in addition to some of the main committees of the General Assembly, which are: Economic and Financial Committee (Second Committee), which deals with economic issues such as sustainable development and the implementation of the MDGs and other economic issues. special political and decolonization Committee (fourth Committee), and covers a range of political subjects which are not covered by the first Committee, as (decolonization and self-determination, the special political missions, such as UNAMI, the Committee on the peaceful uses of outer space, peacekeeping missions, atomic radiation, mine. administrative and budgetary matters Committee (fifth Committee), deals with issues related to the United Nations, and budget management.
- The department also follows the Syrian refugees and displaced Iraqis file, as it prepares Iraq's speeches delivered in the international events, and participation in international meetings regarding Syrian refugees, in addition to preparing an updated minutes regarding the Syrian refugees and the displaced Iraqis.
- The department also follows Al-Huriya transitional temporary camp file, as it follows up the correspondences between the United Nations and the Iraqi authorities in order to end the presence of MKO members on Iraqi territory, according to the understanding memorandum on this subject between the Government of the Republic of Iraq and the United Nations in 25/12/2011.
-The Security Council :
The section receives regularly reports from the Iraqi mission in New York, about the activities of the Security Council and its resolutions.
In relation to international issues, it analyses the report, then sends the important ones to the Council of ministers and the president's office as well the Parliament, to take note and any necessary action in regard.
-The Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC) :
The section follows up the meetings and reports of the Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC) and sends reports about them to the relevant Iraqi sides.
- The United Nations assistance Mission in Iraq (UNAMI) :
The section is responsible of the file of the mission, in all matters except those related to visa and custom clearance, which fall under the responsibility of the protocol department. It holds a monthly meeting with the head of the mission and his staff to exchange views about issues concerns the mission and the ways to facilitate its work.
- The Sanctions Committees :
The Security Council established some committees to implement sanctions against Taliban and Al-Qaeda, in addition to other entities, the section is entitled to follow up the decisions of these committees and send them to the concerned offices in Iraq to take actions accordingly.
- The remaining issues of the Oil for Food Program :
The program was terminated in 2003; but there are matters still to be finalized, which the section is dealing with in cooperation with the mission in New York and other concerned Iraqi ministries. Also the section is dealing with the file to regain the Iraqi money smuggled by the old regime as the requirement of the Security Council resolution 1518, in coordination with the concerned offices in Iraq.
- Nominations and Candidature for the vacant Posts :
The section receives requests from member states in the United Nations to get support from Iraq to their Nominations and Candidature for the vacant posts in the main bodies of the UN, or membership in any of its commissions. The section studies the requests according to the precedence it request and the relation between Iraq and the requesting country, in coordination with the specialized political department in the ministry, then to inform the decision about which country to support to the concerned mission and the Iraqi mission in New York to act accordingly during the election or vote.
- The Specialized Agencies Section :
The Section deals with different issues related to the work of the UN specialized Agencies and International organizations, as mentioned below:
1. World Food Program (WFP).
2. International Labour Organization (ILO).
3. Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO).
4. World Meteorological Organization (WMO).
5.The United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO).
6.World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO).
7.The United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Western Asia (ESCWA).
8.Telecommunication Union International (TUI).
9.World Health Organization (WHO).
10.International Parliamentary Union (IPU).
11.The United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF).
12.International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD).
13.The International Civil Defence Organization (ICDO).
14.World Customs Organization (WCO).
15.World Tourism Organization (WTO).
16.International Maritime Organization (IMO).
17.The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP).
18.International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO).
19.International Olive Council (IOC).
20.International Standard Organization (ISO).
21.The United Nations Programme for Human Settlements (HABITAT).
22.Universal Postal Union (UPU).
23.UN Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO).
24.World Organization for Animal Health (OIE).
25.Codex Alimentarius Commission (CODEX).
The Section's tasks are to follow up and to achieve a variety of files, as described below :
1.The Nominations' file concerning the Iraqi Position to Provide support to the candidacy of a foreign or Arabic state to the membership of an Executive Board or different committees affiliated to the said organizations and Agencies.
2.The Vacancy Posts file concerning the Iraqi Nominations to the International and Regional posts. The subject is run by a committee in the General Secretariat in the Council of Ministries to select the qualified candidacy.
3.The Contributions' file, about the Iraqi contributions to the International Organizations through coordinating with the Iraqi Ministries as well as the Ministry's Headquarter in order to be paid on time.
4.Invitation Letters to the Iraqi Ministries and vice versa.
5.Participation in the meetings, conferences and activities related to the work of the said Organizations.
E-Mail Address: [email protected].