The Permanent Mission of Iraq in Geneva participates in humanitarian segment of ECOSOC meetings
The Permanent Mission of the Republic of Iraq to the United Nations Office and other International Organisations in Geneva participated in the humanitarian segment of the ECOSOC meetings held from 24th to 26th June 2019 at the Palais des Nations in Geneva.
H.E Permanent Representative and ambassador, Dr Hussain M. AlKhateeb headed the Iraqi delegation and delivered the national statement. He reviewed the efforts of the Iraqi government in responding to humanitarian needs and national plans to reach vulnerable groups and reduce the risks they face. His statement outlined the following:
- Iraq’s experience in dealing with the large movements of displaced persons caused by the emergence of terrorist gangs and their criminal acts against civilians.
- The establishment of national educational and health regulation to integrate IDPs into national host communities, and to facilitate the voluntary, safe and dignified return of IDPs to their areas of origin, in addition to providing immediate security and basic services to reduce their suffering.
- National programs for the rehabilitation of children who had lived in areas that were under the control of terrorist groups and the government’s efforts aimed at reintegrating them into the society in order to begin a new and dignified life.
- Coordination and cooperation between the Iraqi government and humanitarian organizations to reach those in need and reduce the crisis and prevent its expansion.
- The major challenges faced by national authorities in implementing their plans and ways in overcoming them.
- H.E extended the appreciation of the Iraqi government to the United Nations, its specialized agencies, international and non-governmental organizations and donors for their support to Iraq, and called upon the international community for continued cooperation in rebuilding the infrastructure of the destroyed areas.